Monday, March 9, 2009

Life at a place most unusual

Working at a psychiatric hospital is never boring। Once you walk through those hospital doors there’s no going back! You never know if it’ll be a great therapeutic day or utter chaos. When job hazards include being bitten, scratched, kicked, hit or even peed on you might consider these deterrents. But it just makes me love these kids more… I feel an ounce of what it must be like to be a parent. They are screaming “I hate you!” when you’re giving them a consequence and “I love you miss megan” an hour later!

I’ve heard unimaginable language come out of the most precious mouths. It’s strange that when a six year old screams “you’re a stupid head!” it is such a sweet-innocent sound…and to hear such a thing can almost bring tears to my eyes, or at least a smile to my face.
From kids that have no family to kids whose families drive them nuts, we all come to this mutual understanding of life(or at least “life at Rivercrest“)... We form roles in this strange place, roles of mothers, sisters, brothers, friends, and confidants. It is difficult to discourage the dating scene cause evidently hooking up at a mental hospital is appealing to some…

What truly keeps me coming back is the realization that me spending just a few minutes truly caring for these kids could change the way they see the world!-!-!
Wow, now thats responsibility... My job makes me completely and utterly exhausted, most of the time profoundly annoyed and always entirely spent... But I keep coming back everyday for all those reasons, all those -short, tall, thin, thick, light, dark, funny, scared, loving, sad, mad, confused, caring, troubled little children and adolescent reasons...

No comments:

Post a Comment